The Kindle: Purchase Worthy?
I’d first like to admit that when the Kindle first came out, I ridiculed it along with my friends. That has changed. The past few years, I blew off all talk of the great features of the Kindle, and how it could change reading forever. How it was a “revolutionary device” that would be to eBooks what the iPod was/is to music. I thought the whole thing was a joke, and my doubts were raised further upon the release of the iPad.
But all along, I was wrong.
About a week or so ago, I was over at a friends house when I noticed a Kindle lying on her couch, so I picked it up. I browsed through it, thought to myself “so this is what a Kindle actually is”, and started to think it was kind of cool. Then I forgot about it again. Then a friend mentioned she was going to buy one for mother’s day, and needed to know where she could buy it. Not knowing too much, I figured FutureShop or BestBuy would have it, but I was wrong. She said she was giving up and just trying the Kindle website, which apparently was the only option.
So I went on the Amazon site and did some research, only to find that the Kindle actually seems pretty awesome.
Video and more after the jump.
So… should I buy it (more info below)? Only $139 for the newest edition of the Kindle. If we only look at free books, some of which I’ve already downloaded, (including the entire Old and New Testaments, Grimm’s Fairy Tales, the complete works of William Shakespeare, and much more) then it might already be worth it. Tens of thousands of free, legal, eBooks are available online.
I don’t even have a Kindle yet and I already have months worth of reading already prepared. So for only $140 or so, plus whatever accessories I may need, I may not even need to buy another eBook for a long, long, time.
So readers, what do you think? Should I spend the money and get it? For those who already own one, what sort of accessories would I need to buy? Lastly, any information on the Kindle that would help me with my potential purchase will be greatly helped.
Some features of the new Amazon Kindle, with some more here:
- All-New, High-Contrast E Ink Screen – 50% better contrast with latest E Ink Pearl technology
- Read in Bright Sunlight – No glare
- New and Improved Fonts – New crisper, darker fonts
- New Sleek Design – 21% smaller body while keeping the same 6″ size reading area
- 17% Lighter – Only 8.5 ounces, weighs less than a paperback
- Battery Life of Up to One Month – A single charge lasts up to one month with wireless off
- Double the Storage – Up to 3,500 books
- Built-In Wi-Fi – Shop and download books in less than 60 seconds
- 20% Faster Page Turns – Seamless reading
- Enhanced PDF Reader – With dictionary lookup, notes, and highlights
- New WebKit-Based Browser – Browse the web over Wi-Fi (experimental)
UPDATE: I bought, and I love it. Definitely recommend to anyone who likes reading, or even people who want to get into reading more.